I have been teaching since 1987 when I joined the profession as a PE teacher. I have held the roles of Head of girl’s PE, Head of Year 7, Deputy Head of Sixth Form and in 2003 I was appointed to the post of AST for Professional Development.
I am an SSAT Lead Practitioner. In School I am Professional Tutor, I co-ordinate the Induction of NQTs and currently lead the Initial Teacher Training (ITT) Forum on behalf of the North Somerset Teaching Alliance. I lead the Appropriate Body (AB) services offered by the Teaching School.
As part of our AB services we run a Newly Qualified Teachers Induction Training Programme. I also run training for Induction Tutors in North Somerset, keeping them informed of the latest developments in NQT Induction and sharing and developing best practice in the monitoring, support and challenge of our NQT colleagues. This training is cross phase, so I work with both Primary and Secondary colleagues on the issues of Induction.
We run a series of NQT Panel meetings where we assess and monitor the performance of NQTs in our care, responding with additional support for schools. I work one to one with Induction Tutors to help develop or improve practice and work 1 to 1 to coach individual NQTs who are struggling to meet the standards.
Specialism specific and generic skills:
- Quality Assurance for NQT Induction
- Quality Assurance of ITT
- Developing Coaching and Mentoring Skills
- AfL in Teaching and Learning
- Critical Skills Development
- Teaching and Learning styles
What support might look like:
- Coaching for staff development
- Mentoring NQTs, RQTs
- Leading training sessions for NQTs, Induction Tutors, Subject Mentors, Trainee Teachers
- Whole-staff workshops, group workshops in a range of CPD topic areas
- Videoed Lesson observation and coaching feedback for developing teacher performance